Lawrence E. Oscar, former CEO and managing partner of Hahn Loeser & Parks and currently the firm’s Ohio Regional Coordinating Partner, serves as a key advisor to executive management at NYSE and Fortune 1000 companies. He provides counsel for a wide range of situations and issues, including overall strategy, dispute resolution, employee relations, mergers and acquisitions, political developments and pricing strategies, among others.
Ranked as one of the top Bankruptcy/Restructuring lawyers in Ohio, according to Chambers USA, Larry’s clients praise his “unique ability to see the most important aspects of a case or situation before others,” and appreciate that he “truly grasps the economic situation and places business issues at the fore.”
Larry’s significant knowledge and business acumen has made him a trusted counselor to businesses, secured and unsecured creditors, creditors’ committees, debtors and trustees in reorganization and insolvency matters; financial institutions, vendors and other creditor or debtor interests in connection with numerous workout, composition and extension arrangements; and acquirers of financially distressed businesses inside and outside of bankruptcy proceedings.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 1989-present; Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner, 2009-17; Past Co-Chair, Creditors’ Rights, Reorganization and Bankruptcy Area; Board of Directors, 1999-2017; Associate, 1981-89
A Few Clients
- Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
- A&P Technology, Inc.
- Ferragamo USA, Inc.
- Hugo Boss USA, Inc.
- Durrel Corp.
- A&W Foods, Inc.
- Monarch Steel Company
- Cleveland-Cliffs Inc., USAA; The CIT Group
- Workout and bankruptcy matters;
- Represent these institutions in asset-based loan transactions;
- Acquisitions of financially troubled businesses.
- A&P Technology, Inc. (high tech provider of braided textiles)
- Represent 7th generation family business;
- General corporate advice;
- Intellectual property rights protection.
- Ferragamo USA, Inc. (luxury goods manufacturer and distributor)
- Store and distribution issues;
- Real estate development issues.
- Hugo Boss USA, Inc. (international manufacturer and vendor of high fashion apparel)
- Supplier, customer, and employment disputes and litigation;
- Trade name and trademark matters;
- Real estate matters;
- Labor and employment issues;
- Distribution and antitrust issues.
- Durrel Corp. (“mini-conglomerate” of metal processors: T&W Forge, Inc. (now sold), Transue & Williams Stamping Co., Inc., and MC Machine.)
- Represent affiliated group of individual businesses serving heavy industry;
- General corporate and control issues;
- Labor and employment matters;
- Customer relations matters;
- Business acquisitions.
- A&W Foods, Inc. (Ohio’s largest independent food distributor)
- Original acquisitions of assets and business, January 1990;
- Subsequent acquisitions of substantial new business line and new 300,000 sq. ft. office/distribution terminal facility;
- Trademark and trade name matters;
- Supplier, customer, employment and other litigation of all types;
- Distribution agreements and antitrust issues;
- Corporate planning;
- Handled sale of business.
- Monarch Steel Company
- Customer and vendor issues.
- In re AmTrust Financial Corporation (Creditors’ Committee).
- In re Schwab Industries, Inc. (Debtor).
- Metalworks Worldwide, Inc. (Judicial Dissolution).
- LoPresti & Sons, Inc. (Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors).
- In re WCI, Inc. (Chair of Creditors’ Committee & major vendor).
- In re Rouge Steel Inc. (Largest vendor and secured creditor).
- In re Weirton Steel Corporation (Creditors’ Committee Co-Chair & major vendor).
- In re Level Propane, Inc. (Largest Equipment Financer).
- In re LTV Steel Company, Inc. (LTV II) (Chair of Creditors’ Committee).
- In re Phar-Mor Stores, Inc. (Special Counsel Reorganized Debtor).
- In re Barneys New York (Counsel to Committee Member with Respect to Claim Sale).
- In re The LTV Corporation and LTV Steel Company, Inc. (LTV I) (Indenture Trustee).
- In re Federated Stores, Inc. (Creditors’ Committee).
- In re White Motor Corporation (Creditors’ Committee and Disposition Assets Trustee).
- In re Simetco, Inc. (Debtor).
- In re Sharon Steel Corporation (Major Unsecured Creditor).
- In re Hauserman, Inc. (Chair of Creditors’ Committee).
- In re Revco D.S., Inc. (Indenture Trustee).
- In re Action Auto Rental, Inc. (Creditors’ Committee).
- In re Enduro Stainless, Inc. (Creditors’ Committee and Trustee).
- In re Chapter 11, Cardinal Industries, Inc. (Unsecured Creditor).
- In re Howard Industries, Inc. (Debtor).
- In re Unimet, Inc. (Debtor).
New York University School of Law, J.D., 1981
Honors & Activities: Comprehensive paper, “Equitable Subordination Under the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978”
Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S., Economics, cum laude, 1978
Honors & Activities: Finance Major; Four year varsity letter winner in football
Cleveland Leadership Center: Board of Directors, Chair, 2015-18; Board of Trustees, 2009-present; Executive Committee
Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland, Board of Trustees, 2003-18, Executive Committee; Board President, 2018-present
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law – Leadership & Law Advisory Council
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2013-18; Deans’ Visiting Committee
The Cleveland Orchestra, Advisory Council, Chair
Cleveland Museum of Art, Leadership Circle
ChambersUSA, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2005-20
Ohio Super Lawyers®, Bankruptcy: Business, 2004-20
The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2005-20; Cleveland Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy Law, 2013
AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell
State of Ohio, 1981
U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Sixth and Seventh Circuits; U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Ohio and Southern District of Ohio
Greater Cleveland Partnership, Equity & Inclusion, Board Member
American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Commercial Financial Services and Business Bankruptcy Committees
Ohio State Bar Association, Banking, Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Committee
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
American Bankruptcy Institute, Member