A partner in Hahn Loeser’s Cleveland office since 2007 and current Chair of the Firm’s Labor and Employment Group, Steven has 20 years of labor and employment law experience – exclusively representing and counseling employers across the country on the wide variety of employment and labor law issues that typically confront employers. His breadth of experience includes complex employment law litigation, collective and/or class action wage and hour litigation, labor arbitrations, union avoidance campaigns, wage and hour audits and investigations, health and safety investigations and hearings, Title IX investigations, workers’ compensation hearings, collective bargaining sessions, employment law training seminars, and counseling clients on day-to-day employment and labor issues.
Steven has represented mom and pop as well as large, national companies in the technology, manufacturing, transportation, higher education, energy, food services, health care and nursing home industries with issues arising in the ever-increasing complex world of employment litigation and labor arbitrations. Steven possesses a wide-range and sophisticated knowledge and experience of both federal and state law civil litigation – including the defense of management in various Title VII, Title IX, wrongful termination, discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, trade secret, health and safety, workers’ compensation and non-competition litigation.
Steven also has successfully defended management clients in Ohio and all across the country in complex employment and labor related disputes before various administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, the Ohio Department of Education, the Industrial Commission of Ohio, the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, the Department of Labor and OSHA, the Food and Drug Administration, and the National Labor Relations Board.
In addition to his national employment law litigation practice, Steven advises clients across the country in all aspects of employee relations, employment law and risk avoidance initiatives, including hiring and termination, discipline, employee handbook drafting, employee policy implementation and enforcement, litigation avoidance strategies and proactive compliance with diverse employment laws, rules and regulations. Steven also has presented over 250 labor and employment law seminars and training sessions to his clients and various trade associations, human resources groups, and chamber of commerce organizations.
Steven also maintains a strong and robust union avoidance practice – having represented and counseled employers in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, South Dakota, Georgia, and Iowa in union organizing drives and/or secret ballot elections before the National Labor Relations Board. Steven takes great pride in the fact that all of his management side clients who were subject to secret ballot elections during his legal career remain undefeated and union free.
Steven is admitted to practice in Ohio, the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio. He has been admitted pro hac vice in several other state and federal jurisdictions across the country, including Florida, Nevada and Pennsylvania, to ensure protection of his clients’ interests.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser and Parks LLP, 2007-present; Associate, 2002-06.
- Associate, Jones Day Reavis and Pogue, 1998-2002.
- Summer Associate, Duvin Cahn and Hutton, 1997.
- Law Clerk, Shaker Heights Law Department, Prosecutor's Office, 1996-97.
- Legislative Research and Policy Associate, Ohio House of Representatives, Minority Leader Patrick A. Sweeney, 1994-95.
- Legislative Aide, Ohio Legislative Service Commission, House Speaker Vernal G. Riffe, 1994.
- Claims Adjuster, Shelby Insurance Group, 1993.
- Obtained a directed verdict in a Workers’ Compensation appeal involving a silicosis claim filed by a former employer of a foundry located in Lorain, Ohio.
- Successfully defended a national trucking company in an age-related discrimination case in federal court by receiving partial summary judgment and settling the remaining breach of contract claim for nuisance value.
- Successfully defended an employer in a sexual harassment case alleging quid pro quo and hostile work environment. Due to an aggressive defense approach, the matter was resolved for nuisance value.
- Conducted several independent investigations for employers to minimize various levels of litigation liabilities.
- Successfully defended union organizing campaigns for several employers – winning each and every secret ballot election.
- Successfully defended a plush toy manufacturer from a multi-count discrimination/breach of contract case in federal court.
Cleveland Marshall College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1998
Honors & Activities: Cleveland State University Law Review, Associate Member; Cleveland Marshall Alumni Scholarship; Federal Bar Association's Outstanding Student in Constitutional Law; CALI Award for Excellence in Labor Law, Advanced Legal Writing, Constitutional Law and Corporations
Bowling Green State University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1993
ALS Association Northeast Ohio Chapter (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), Volunteer Member
State of Ohio, 1999
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division
Admitted to practice, pro hac vice, before the U.S. District Courts for the District of Nevada, the District of Rhode Island, the District of Connecticut, the District of Nebraska, the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the Western District of Missouri, the Eastern District of Virginia and before the Circuit Court of Ninth Judicial Circuit, Division 34, Orange County, Florida
Ohio State Bar Association, Member
Cleveland Bar Association, Member
Bowling Green State University’s Alumni Association, Member
Association of Independent Colleges & Universities of Ohio (AICUO), Member