Michael J. Gleason is an experienced litigator who builds upon his extensive legal knowledge to meet individual client needs. As Partner-In-Charge of the San Diego office and co-chair of Hahn Loeser’s San Diego Litigation Practice group, Mike prides himself on both understanding the law and knowing each individual client. This enables him to understand each client’s expectations, keep the client informed, ensure expectations are met and deliver a compelling narrative for the case tied to every unique client and case.
As a commercial litigator, Mike has represented clients in a wide range of industries, including escrow, title insurance, real estate, oil and gas, consumer credit, food, entertainment, manufacturing, retail and insurance. These representations include issues related to product liability, business tort, unfair competition and consumer protection statutes, bad faith insurance, the Song Beverly Credit Card Act, Proposition 65 (California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act.
Mike’s experience defending class actions includes class-action lawsuit trials, eliminating proposed class actions on the merits prior to the certification decision, successfully opposing class-certification motions, decertifying previously certified classes, negotiating settlements of class claims and obtaining necessary court approval of class settlements. Throughout his career, Mike has gained extensive skills in investigating class-action allegations, identifying the key issues to attack the merits and class claims, efficiently handling large amounts of discovery and e-discovery, and addressing the variety of complex issues that may arise in a class action.
- Partner-In-Charge, San Diego Office, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2012-present; Partner, 2010-present; Associate, 2007-09
- Attorney, Jones Day, 2001-07
- Research Assistant to Professor Faust F. Rossi, Cornell Law School, Summer 1999
- NNN Parkway Corporate Plaza B v. Hirschler Fleischer, APC, Court of Appeal of California, fourth Appellate District, 2017 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 1927, in which Mike successfully argued before a California Appellate Court to affirm a dismissal obtained for the client.
- Hutton v. Fidelity National Title Company, Superior Court of California, Kern County, 213 Cal. App. 4th 486, in which Mike successfully argued before a California Appellate Court to affirm a summary judgment obtained for the client in a class action.
- Bergman v. Fidelity National Financial, United States District Court, Central District of California, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 171334. Summary judgment granted in proposed RESPA national class action.
- Henson v. Fidelity National Financial, United States District Court, Central District of California, 300 F.R.D. 413. Class certification denied in proposed RESPA nation-wide class.
- Kingsberry v. Chicago Title Insurance Company, United States District Court, Western District of Washington, 258 F.R.D. 668. Class certification denied in proposed state-wide class.
- Villanueva v. Fidelity National Title Company, No. 1-10-CV-173356, in which after successfully eliminating claims and certain class allegations via motion practice, Mike was part of a trial team that defeated plaintiff’s claims seeking over $35 million.
Cornell Law School, J.D., 2001
Honors & Activities: Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy, General Editor; Phi Delta Phi, Member
University of Buffalo, B.A., History, magna cum laude, 1998
Honors & Activities: Phi Beta Kappa, Member; Highest Honors in History Department; Dean's List; Phi Alpha Theta History Honors Society, Member; Golden Key Honors Society, Member; Outstanding Student in Political Science
California Bar Association
San Diego Bar Association
Association of Business Trial Attorneys
State of California, 2011
State of Ohio, 2001 (inactive)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Ohio, Southern District of Ohio, Central District of California, Southern District of California, Northern District of California, Eastern District of California
Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2010-11
Rising Star, Southern California Super Lawyers®, 2015-16
“2015 Multi-State Class Action Defense Attorney of the Year in California,” Global Law Experts and CorporateINTL, 2015
"Top Lawyer," Civil Litigation, San Diego Magazine, 2017
AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell