A Partner in Hahn Loeser’s Litigation Area, Eric B. Levasseur is a seasoned commercial litigator and trial attorney who represents clients in a diverse array of business disputes around the country. A trusted advisor and creative advocate for his clients’ interests, Eric designs strategies that guide clients from the pre-litigation planning stage through the highest levels of appeal. In his nearly twenty years in practice, Eric has established a reputation for cutting to the core of disputes and working tirelessly to achieve his clients’ objectives and deliver a successful result, whether inside or outside the courtroom.
In the Litigation Area, Eric represents companies, non-profit institutions and individuals in state and federal trial and appellate courts across the country, with extensive mediation, arbitration, trial and appellate experience. He represents clients across a variety of industries. He is experienced in pre-litigation claim strategy and avoidance, complex commercial contract and business disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, business tort and negligence claims, fraud, conspiracy and defamation claims and non-compete and employment agreements. Eric also handles trade secrets, product liability actions, fiduciary and estate litigation, real estate litigation, commercial and securities fraud, shareholder and partnership disputes, and judgment execution and recovery. His breadth of experience and work in various industries have contributed to an in-depth knowledge of insurance coverage and recovery disputes.
Eric has counseled clients in time-sensitive temporary restraining order and injunctive relief matters through discovery, depositions, mediation and trial. In addition to business disputes, Eric has aggressively represented clients in significant wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury actions.
As a member of the firm’s Construction Team, Eric represents owners, developers, design professionals, sureties, general contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in construction disputes and AAA arbitrations. Eric has worked with clients at every stage of the construction process, helping clients to avoid litigation, minimize and allocate risk and resolve disputes as early as possible. He has handled defective design, installation and material claims, delay claims, payment/change order disputes and public bid disputes. Well-versed in all aspects of construction litigation and insurance matters, Eric has extensive experience with mechanic’s liens, payment and performance bond claims, and insurance recovery for both public and private projects.
Eric also has counseled franchisors in more than 40 disputes involving franchise termination, trademark infringement, enforcement of non-competition covenants and defense of vicarious liability claims.
Since starting his practice at Hahn Loeser in 2001, Eric has served in a variety of leadership roles within the Firm, including as Chair of the Recruiting Committee and as the Firm’s Director of Legal Personnel Relations.
Eric has received numerous accolades through his career, including maintaining an AV-Preeminent rating through Martindale-Hubbell. He is actively engaged in the community, serves on the board of numerous non-profit institutions, and volunteers his time as a youth sports coach.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2011-present; Director, Legal Personnel Relations, 2016-18; Chair, Recruiting Committee, 2014-15; Associate, 2002-10; Summer Associate, 2001; E-Discovery Committee
- Summer Associate, Grendell & Simon Co., L.P.A., 2000
- Arbitrator, Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas
- Defended a national franchisor of children’s entertainment facilities in high-stakes, catastrophic personal injury action alleging damages in excess of $30 million and involving over 50 defendants. Matter successfully resolved prior to trial.
- Lead trial counsel in federal action on behalf of a client alleging claims against competitor and former employees for breach of fiduciary duty and other business torts. Achieved favorable verdict and damage award, which was subsequently affirmed on appeal.
- Defended national title and escrow company in a series of related actions stemming from the provision of escrow services for a $650 million condominium project in Maui, Hawaii, and seeking damages in excess of $23 million. Obtained dismissal of certain actions and resolved others prior to trial.
- Defended national title and escrow company in a series of complex, consolidated actions related to a $30 million condominium infrastructure project, and seeking damages in excess of $6 million. Matter successfully resolved prior to trial.
- Defended national title and escrow company against escrow liability claims. Achieved favorable early dismissal and briefed/argued subsequent related appellate proceedings in Ninth Circuit and Hawaii Supreme Court.
- Represented former director and chief executive officer of publicly traded corporation in action alleging claims by and against former employer, including shareholder derivative claims. Matter resolved prior to trial including complete resolution of executive compensation matters.
- Represented an estate and related investment entities in multi-forum litigation alleging securities fraud and non-registration claims in connection with investments in certain oil and gas securities. Following nearly two-week federal jury trial, achieved multi-million judgment, and successfully defended on appeal to 6th Circuit.
- Represented trustees and estate beneficiaries in wide range of trust, estate and will contest actions.
- Represented group of private investors in dispute related to oil and gas securities. Achieved complete return of equity investment on behalf of investors.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in numerous construction-related disputes in both litigation and arbitration in a number of jurisdictions across the Midwest and East Coast.
- Served as arbitration counsel to design-build contractor in dispute relating to state-of-the-art cellulosic ethanol pretreatment facility. Following two-and-a-half week hearing, obtained award in excess of $7.5 Million.
- Served as counsel to nation’s largest producer of ethanol and other biorefined products in multimillion-dollar dispute relating to a $60 million contract for the design and construction of a material-handling system for a solid waste fuel boiler.
- Represented a leading Northeast Ohio manufacturing company in a dispute regarding installation and warranty of a synthetic roofing system for a large portion of its Texas distribution facility. Claims successfully resolved prior to commencement of litigation.
- Served as trial counsel to a national residential developer in a dispute concerning concrete placement in a series of driveways in high-end development. Successfully defended contractor’s claims and obtained verdict for full amount of counterclaim.
- Represented a national design/build contractor in a dispute relating to design and installation of terrazzo flooring for 60,000-square-foot federal government medical facility. Matter successfully resolved prior to trial.
- Lead arbitration counsel on behalf of national design/build contractor in significant change order dispute.
- Longstanding representation of national material supplier enforcing payment rights and resolving disputes related to dozens of private and commercial projects.
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2002
Honors & Activities: Phi Delta Phi; International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award; William H. Wallace Award; William K. Thomas Inns of Court, Student Member; Jonathan M. Ault Mock Trial Team, Vice President; Moot Court Board; Dean Dunmore Distinguished Advocate
Colgate University, B.A., Political Science, English Literature, 1999
Honors & Activities: The Colgate Maroon-News, Editor-in-Chief; Konosioni Senior Honor Society; Beta Theta Pi Alumni Association; Beta Theta Pi, Alumni Association Award; Campus Life Award; The Edward M. Stimets Memorial Award; Phi Eta Sigma
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2019-present
Cleveland Law Library Association, Board of Directors, 2018-present
Cleveland Bridge Builders Class of 2017
Cleveland Civic Leadership Institute, 2015
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Law Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2015-20: (President, 2019 - present; Vice President, 2018; Secretary/Treasurer, 2017); Representative, Law Firm Giving Challenge; Alumni Mentoring program
Colgate Club of Cleveland, Board of Directors and Past President; Alumni Admissions Committee, Chair
Colgate on the Cuyahoga, Board of Directors; Student Host Program
Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentor Program, Mentor
Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, Volunteer Lawyers Program
Frequent volunteer judge for law school and high school moot court/mock trial competitions
Legal Advisor, Rocky River Youth Hockey
Active youth sports coach for soccer, baseball, ice hockey and lacrosse
AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbel
ChambersUSA, Construction Law, 2012-13
Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2011
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society comprised of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers, based upon excellence and accomplishments in litigation)
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Fellow, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation
Certified Advocate, National Institute for Trial Advocacy. Attended NITA National Session, 2012
State of Ohio, 2002
U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit Court and Ninth Circuit; U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio and the Eastern District of Michigan
Admitted to practice pro hac vice in numerous federal and state jurisdictions throughout the country
American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Construction Litigation, Pretrial Practice & Discovery Committees; Co-Chair, Motion Practice & Discovery Subcommittee, 2014-16; Co-Chair, Newsletter & Publications Subcommittee, 2017; Outstanding Subcommittee Chair, 2015
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Judicial Selection Committee; Litigation Section, Litigation Section Council (2019-20); Civil Rules Committee
Lawyers Guild of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
William K. Thomas Inn of Court, Barrister
Ohio State Bar Association, Former Member
American Association for Justice, Former Member