Walter J. Kawula, Jr. applies his real-world knowledge as an inventor and engineer to provide his clients with experienced patent litigation and prosecution services. As a patent attorney, he draws from his extensive legal and engineering experience to offer expertise in patent applications, prior art analysis, product clearances, patent appeals and analysis of competitors’ designs. In addition, he brings a unique perspective to data security and data privacy issues with his technology background.
Walter engages technical experts to develop testimony for trial and patent claim construction hearings. Walter is a skilled interviewer who can identify the patentable aspects of an engineer’s innovations and communicate those findings to a district court judge hearing a patent case.
Walter leverages his experience in technology and patent law when performing due diligence reviews of intellectual property portfolios and open source code compliance, and data security and data privacy reviews.
Walter’s industry experience includes designing application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) and circuit boards for telecommunications switching equipment, manufactured by Rockwell International. He also invented a circuit for multiplexing signaling data with traffic data in an electronic cross-connect (U.S. Patent No. 4,937,820).
In addition to his professional background as an electrical engineer, Walter has experience with the intellectual property and data security/data privacy aspects of various technologies, including semiconductor device fabrication, digital telephony protocols, Internet protocols and addressing, Internet programming languages, industrial networks and embedded real-time computer systems. Walter also has experience with computer peripheral communications, computer disk drives and file systems, relational databases and data mining, computer programming, cellular telephone protocols; radio frequency transmission and reception, television tuners, and mobile commerce/mobile applications. This broad base of knowledge enables Walter to quickly grasp complex technologies and provide better, more efficient legal results.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2015-present
- Partner, Husch Blackwell LLP, 2008-15
- Partner, Welsh & Katz, Ltd., 1994-2008
- Providing strategic patent counseling to CommScope Inc., a leading manufacturer of wireless cellular base station antennas and related equipment, including securing patent rights in core technologies.
- Counseling C-Sam Inc. on patent matters regarding its core mobile payment technologies, from start-up to commercial adoption.
- Appealed to Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences to secure patent rights on pioneering mobile payments technologies. Ex parte Pitroda, Appeal No. 2004-000297; Ex parte Pitroda, Appeal No. 2011-005589.
- Participated in appeal of a multimillion-dollar jury verdict before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, with favorable results. Eaton Corp. v. Rockwell International Corp. and ArvinMeritor Inc., 323 F.3d 1332, 66 USPQ2d 1271 (Fed.Cir. 2003).
- Represented patent licensing company in multidistrict patent litigation, including conducting Markman
- Defended against $500 million claim of patent misuse. Minebea Co. v. Papst Licensing, 444 F. Supp.2d 68 (D.D.C. 2006).
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1994
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., 1985
American Bar Association, Member
IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), Member
Sedona Conference, Working Group 11: Data Security and Privacy Liability, Member
State of Illinois, 1994
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1994; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2001; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1996