As a partner practicing in Hahn Loeser’s Chicago’s office, Walter matches real-world engineering knowledge with extensive patent litigation and patent prosecution experience.
Walter’s industry experience includes designing application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) and circuit boards for telecommunications switching equipment, manufactured by Rockwell International. He also invented a circuit for multiplexing signaling data with traffic data in an electronic cross-connect (U.S. Patent No. 4,937,820).
In addition to his professional background as an electrical engineer, Walter has experience with the legal aspects of technologies including semiconductor device fabrication, digital telephony protocols, Internet protocols and addressing, Internet programming languages, industrial networks and embedded real-time computer systems. He also has experience with computer peripheral communications, computer disk drives and file systems, relational databases and data mining, computer programming, cellular telephone protocols, radio frequency transmission and reception, television tuners and mobile commerce/mobile applications. This broad knowledge base allows him to quickly grasp complex technologies, leading to better, more efficient legal results.
At Hahn Loeser
As a patent attorney, Walter assists manufacturing clients by utilizing his engineering experience in drafting patent applications, analyses of prior art, product clearances, patent appeals, analyses of competitors' designs, engaging technical experts to develop testimony for trial, and patent claim construction hearings. He is equally at ease interviewing engineers to elicit the patentable aspects of their innovations as he is communicating those innovations to a district court judge hearing a patent case.
Walter leverages this experience in technology and patent law when performing due diligence reviews of intellectual property portfolios and open source code compliance, and data security and data privacy reviews.
- Providing strategic patent counseling to CommScope Inc., a leading manufacturer of wireless cellular base station antennas and related equipment, including securing patent rights in core technologies
- Counseling C-Sam Inc. on patent matters regarding its core mobile payment technologies, from startup to commercial adoption
- Appealed to Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences to secure patent rights on pioneering mobile payments technologies. Ex parte Pitroda, Appeal No. 2004-000297; Ex parte Pitroda, Appeal No. 2011-005589
- Participated in appeal of a multimillion-dollar jury verdict before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, with favorable results. Eaton Corp. v. Rockwell International Corp. and ArvinMeritor Inc., 323 F.3d 1332, 66 USPQ2d 1271 (Fed.Cir. 2003)
- Represented patent licensing company in multidistrict patent litigation, including conducting Markman hearing
- Defended against $500 million claim of patent misuse. Minebea Co. v. Papst Licensing, 444 F. Supp.2d 68 (D.D.C. 2006)
Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1994
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., 1985
American Bar Association: member
IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers): member
Sedona Conference, Working Group 11: Data Security and Privacy Liability: member
Admitted to the Illinois Bar, 1994
Licensed to practice before the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1994; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2001; and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1996