E. Sean Medina is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Area, member of the firm’s Healthcare practice group, and Chair of Hahn Loeser’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
As a commercial litigator, Sean provides creative and focused legal counsel to corporations facing commercial disputes. Sean has significant experience representing companies in front of state courts, federal courts, and arbitrators in complex commercial cases, breach of contract claims, healthcare litigation, payor-provider disputes, managed care litigation, class actions, state bid and procurement litigation, business torts and fraud claims, and general litigation matters. Sean has a successful track record of early victories achieved through dispositive motions, defeat of class certification, and securing dismissal of or summary judgment on the claims of class representatives.
Sean has been named as a “Rising Star” in Ohio Super Lawyers, was a “Forty Under 40” honoree from Crain’s Cleveland Business, and was a member of Leadership Cleveland’s Class of 2020.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2016-present; Associate, 2007-15; Summer Associate, 2005-06
- Enduring Wellness v. Michael Roizen, M.D. and Cleveland Clinic Wellness Enterprise, LLC, Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas No. CV-19-909042 (2019), and Eighth District Court of Appeals No. CA-19-108681 (2020). Obtained dismissal of multi-count complaint alleging breach of contract, tortious interference with contract, fraud, and violations of the Ohio Deceptive Trade Practices Act and obtained affirmance on appeal.
- Abercrombie v. Aetna Health, Inc., U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado No. 1:15-CV-00994 (2016), and Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals No. 16-1152 (2017). Obtained dismissal of action against health insurer for claim that insurer violated state statute since 1970s through its reimbursement of chiropractors; dismissal upheld on appeal.
- Bourbon Cmty. Hosp. v. Coventry Health and Life Ins. Co., U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky No. 3:15-cv-00455 (2016). Obtained dismissal of action against Medicaid managed care organization for breach of contract and statutory violations for reimbursement policy regarding emergency department claims.
- IPI II LLC v. The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas No. CV-12-786463 (2013) and Eight District Court of Appeals Nos. CA-13-099988 and CA-13-099898 (2014). Successfully defeated commercial replevin against health care provider, obtained summary judgment and obtained affirmance on appeal.
- Chultem v. Ticor Title Ins. Co.and Colella v. Chicago Title Ins. Co., Cook County, Illinois (2013). Obtained complete defense verdict in bench trial of two consolidated statewide class actions alleging RESPA, Illinois Title Insurance Act, and Illinois Consumer Fraud Act violations and seeking $250 million, plus trebling.
- Bushbeck v. Chicago Title Ins. Co., U. District Court for the Western District of Washington No. C08-755-JLR (2011 and 2012). Defeated two class certification motions in a nationwide RESPA and consumer fraud class action.
- Maxus Capital v. TIMCO, Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio No. CV-11-750485, and Guilford County Superior Court, North Carolina No. 11 CVS 4152 (2011). Obtained commercial replevin of jet engine refurbishing equipment, while defending companion case in North Carolina.
- Cornelius v. Fidelity National Title Co., U.S. District Court, W.D. Wash. Case No. 2:08-cv-00754 (2009). Defended escrow holder against claims by plaintiff consumers who sought to recover in excess of $5 million for reconveyance fees collected by the escrow holder. Obtained dismissal of some claims and then summary judgment as to the remaining claims.
- Cliffs Sales Co. v. Am. Steamship Co., U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio Nos. 1:07 CV 485, 1:07 CV 01466 (2008). Awarded $3.7 million jury verdict on commercial breach of contract claim.
- Various confidential arbitrations involving breach of contract actions and healthcare claims.
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2007
Honors & Activities: Dean's Scholarship; Bert & Iris Wolstein Scholarship; Hispanic Law Student Association, Member
Bowling Green State University, B.A., History and Asian Studies, 2003
Epilepsy Association, President of the Board of Directors, 2020
Leadership Cleveland, Class of 2020
Forty Under 40 Honoree, Crain’s Cleveland Business, 2018
Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2014-17.
State of Ohio, 2007
U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Ohio and Southern District of Ohio; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Ohio Bar Association, Member
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
Hispanic National Bar Association, Member