Daniel R. Cherry brings decades of experience to Hahn Loeser’s Intellectual Property practice with a focus on patent litigation. He takes a scientific approach to winning patent litigation, which he says is like “aligning tumblers of a lock.” He is skilled at tying the facts of a case to sound legal theory.
Dan has represented clients in diverse technologies, including automotive parts, chemical processes, computer hardware and software, explosives, farm equipment, food products, metallurgical coatings, office equipment, pharmaceuticals and sporting goods. A large portion of his practice is devoted to representing generic pharmaceutical firms in Hatch-Waxman litigation.
Between college and law school, Dan served as a Coast Guard officer enforcing antipollution laws. Since being admitted to the bar, he has appeared in federal courts in California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2015-present
- Partner, Husch Blackwell LLP, 2008-15
- Partner, Duane Morris LLP, 2007-08
- Partner, Welsh & Katz, Ltd., 1987-2008
- Associate, Partner; Squire, Sanders, and Dempsey, 1976-87
Dan loves to travel with his wife, who is a professor of French literature and history. The pair travels to France every few years. Their other recent trips include Africa, Alaska and the Galapagos Islands.
- Olmesartan Medoxomil (Hypertension Drug), Apotex Inc. v. Daiichi Sankyo Inc., 781 F.3d 1356 (Fed. Cir. 2015)
- Risedronate (Osteoporosis Drug), Warner Chilcott Co. v. Teva Pham. USA, Inc., 2014 WL 6435042 (Fed. Cir.)
- Ibandronate (Osteoporosis Drug), Hoffman-La Roche Inc. v. Apotex Inc., 748 F.3d 1326 (Fed. Cir. 2014)
- Hard disk drives, Minebea Co. v. Papst, 444 F. Supp.2d 68 (D.D.C. 2006)
- Truck transmissions, Eaton Corp. v. Rockwell Int’l Corp., 323 F.3d 1332 (Fed. Cir. 2003)
- Metallurgical coatings for jet engine parts, United Tech. Corp. v. Heico Corp., 60 F. Supp.2d 1306 (S.D. Fla. 1999)
- Ink ribbon cassettes, Smith Corona Corp. v. Pelikan Inc., 784 F. Supp. 452 (M.D. Tenn. 1992), aff’d, 1993 WL 192516 (Fed. Cir.)
- Explosives, Austin Powder Co. v. Atlas Powder Co., 593 F. Supp. 208 (D. Del. 1984)
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1976
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, S.B., 1970
American Bar Association, Member
American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
Chicago Bar Association, Member
Federal Circuit Bar Association, Member
Illinois State Bar Association, Member
Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago, Member
State of Illinois, 1987
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar), 1987; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1978
AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell