As a partner with Hahn Loeser, Robert B. Port focuses his practice on business litigation, complex commercial disputes, and construction law. Rob has extensive experience in business tort litigation, representing both plaintiffs and defendants, nationally, including breach of contract, tortious interference with contractual relations, misappropriation of trade secrets, and breach of fiduciary duty. Rob has represented clients nationally in class-action lawsuits. In the construction area, Rob has experience in handling claims regarding additional costs and scheduling impacts, pre-litigation claims management to mitigate risk and reserve the client’s potential future claims for additional compensation or contract time extensions, assisting clients in obtaining certification under various Ohio and federal programs for minority or disadvantaged business entities, and defending clients against decertification for these state and federal progams.
Rob also has significant experience in analyzing business financial information and developing damages models based on both lost profits and business valuation.
Rob has a masters degree in mechanical engineering and worked as a research-and-design engineer for over a decade before switching careers.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2013-present; Associate, 2004-12
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold, LLP, Summer Associate, 2002
- Northrop Grumman Corporation, Senior Engineer, 1989-2001
- Lawyers Title Company v. Title365 Company, et al., Case No. 37-2014-00032795-CU-BT-CTL (Cal. Super. Ct., San Diego Cty. Aug. 14, 2015), Successful settlement.
- France v. Ticor Title of Washington, Inc., Case No. 12-2-25688-8 (Wash. Sup. Ct. Dec. 2015), obtained complete defense verdict.
- Krause, et al. v. Chicago Title Insurance Company, Case No. 0516-CV30246, (MO Cir. Ct., Jackson Cty. Jan. 30, 2013), defeat of $211 million punitive damages claim; favorable settlement following jury trial.
- Nations Title Co. of Cal. v. Security Union Title Ins. Co., Case No. BC426001 (Cal. Sup. Ct., Los Angeles Cty. May 2013), Complete defense verdict.
- Hancock v. Chicago Title Insurance Company, Case No. 3:07-CV-1441-D (N.D. Tex. Aug. 22, 2007), Successful defeat of class certification.
- Chicago Title Insurance Company v. Magnuson, et al., Case No. 2:03-CV-368 (N.D. Ohio April 23, 2003), Compensatory and punitive damages totaling over $43 million; rev’d 487 F.3d 985 (6th Cir. 2007), remanded for a new trial on compensatory damages only.
- Security Title Agency, Inc. Pope, Case No. CV 2003-020507 (AZ Sup. Ct. Oct. 27, 2003), Compensatory and punitive damages totaling $12.6 million; aff’d 219 Ariz. 480 (App. 2008).
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2004
Honors & Activities: Academic Scholarship; Dean’s List
The Catholic University of America, M.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1994
Drexel University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1989
Honors & Activities: Dean’s List
Federal Bar Association, Member, Board of Directors, Northern District of Ohio Chapter, 2006-present
Jewish Federation of Cleveland, Member, Community Relations Committee, 2012-18
Mandel Jewish Community Center, Member, Board of Trustees, 2012-18
Lawrence School, Member, Board of Trustees, 2017-present
State of Ohio
U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2020-22
Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2010-11
Cleveland Bridge Builders, Class of 2018