Phil Eckenrode is Of Counsel in Hahn Loeser’s Cleveland office. He primarily represents clients in business litigation matters, including complex commercial transactions, non-compete, non-solicitation, and trade secret litigation, fraud, and the enforcement of creditors’ rights. Phil also advises clients on employment-related issues and serves as the outside general counsel for a global manufacturing company headquartered in Cleveland.
Practical advice, clear communication, and unwavering advocacy are the hallmarks of Phil’s practice. Combining more than seven years of a business litigation and employment law practice with more than five years as general counsel of a middle market manufacturing company, Phil has sat on both sides of the table and understands the challenges that a business and its owners face each day. He has the practical skills to structure efficient solutions to avoid the courtroom and the veteran experience to try any case if and when necessary.
- Of Counsel, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2021 – present
- General Counsel, Prince & Izant, 2015 – 2021
- Associate, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2008 – 2015
- Adjunct Appellate Advocacy Instructor, Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University, 2008 – 2015
- Summer Associate, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2007
- Summer Associate, Calhoun, Kademenos & Childress, 2006
- Regular experience as first or second chair in trials and hearings in both federal and state courts.
- Examples of trial victories include complete defense verdict in multi-million-dollar lender liability case, 100% damages award in construction arbitration, $650,000 verdict in federal court jury trial based on claims of electronic trade secrets misappropriation and related claims.
- Successfully conducted oral arguments in both state and federal courts of appeals, including successful reversal at the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals which resulted in client’s full jury award being reinstated.
- Oversaw acquisition of one of client’s major competitors along with post-merger integration of workforces (50+ new employees), policies, and procedures.
J.D., The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law, 2008
Honors & Activities: Labor & Employment Law Moot Court Team Member; Negotiations Team Member: Mediation Team Member
B.A., Kent State University, cum laude, Political Science, 2005
Olmsted Falls City School District; Member, Board of Education
Make-A-Wish Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana; Chair, Northern Ohio Regional Advisory Board
Columbus Bar Association; Chair, Federal Courts Committee
State of Ohio, 2008
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2009
U.S. District Court for the Southern and Northern Districts of Ohio, 2010