Taxation & Tax Controversy
Taxes are an inevitable result of our clients’ successes in pursuing their careers, running their businesses and investing their income and assets. Minimizing those taxes and proper compliance with the tax laws is important to maintain those successes and to build upon them. Hahn Loeser attorneys have the experience and knowledge to guide our clients in a wide variety of tax matters, both for individuals and their businesses. We often work as part of a team that includes other professionals such as the client’s accountant, banker, insurance professional, financial advisor and trust officer.
In addition to providing sophisticated income, gift, estate and generation skipping tax planning advice and implementation, we prepare, and consult with accountants in the preparation of, a variety of tax returns for our clients, including:
- Individual federal and state income tax returns
- Fiduciary income tax returns for estates and trusts
- Gift tax returns
- Federal and state estate and generation skipping tax returns
- Private foundation returns
Hahn Loeser attorneys have substantial experience successfully representing our clients in controversies involving tax returns and requests for advice from the IRS including:
- Preparation of Private Letter Ruling requests to the IRS
- Audits of income, gift and estate tax returns prepared by us or others
- Pursuit of taxpayers’ appeal rights with the IRS Appeals Division
- United States Tax Court and Federal District Court cases
Tax Advice for Transactions and Litigation Settlements
We provide analysis and advice to our clients regarding the income, gift and estate tax consequences of business transactions within and outside of the family context.
When our clients are involved, as a beneficiary or as the fiduciary, in litigation relating to trusts and estates, such as will or trust contests or actions to construe them, we can facilitate the resolution of such matters by providing analysis of, and advice regarding, the tax consequences of proposed settlements and by assisting in the tax efficient structuring of settlements.