Robert M. Gould, Ph.D., guides inventors, researchers and start-ups through intellectual property litigation, prosecution, and due diligence investigations, with particular emphasis in the pharmaceutical, food science, and biotechnology industries.
With his unique background, Bob understands scientific principles and the mechanics of research, which he applies in the areas of DNA chemistry; siRNA technology; DNA-based diagnostics; enzymology and catalysis; fermentation; drug development; pharmaceutical formulation; stem cell technology; and immunotherapeutics. He prosecutes inter partes reexamination proceedings and the strategic use of re-examination proceedings. Bob also provides patent counseling for Abbreviated New Drug Applications and follow-on biologics.
Bob was a research scientist at Houston Biotechnology Inc. prior to attending law school. He also has research experience with the oil seeds division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, where he helped to develop an assay to quantitate cyanogenic glycosides in bean products.
- Defended a patent infringement action for a generic anti-cancer product for Taxotere, the active ingredient of which is docetaxel. Following a two-week trial, obtained an order striking down the patents-in-issue as invalid and unenforceable due to company’s inequitable conduct in procuring the patents, which was affirmed on appeal. Aventis Pharma S.A. and Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC v. Apotex Inc. and Apotex Corp., Civ. Action No. 08-496 (GMS) (D.Del. 2010).
- Counseled in a patent infringement action for a generic version of the eye allergy product Patanol, the active ingredient of which is olopatadine hydrochloride. Alcon Research Ltd. et al. v. Sandoz Inc., Civ. Action No. 09-0103 (RLY-JMS) (S.D.Ind.)
- Represented in a patent infringement action following an at-risk launch for a generic anti-seizure product for Neurontin, the active ingredient of which is gabapentin. In re Gabapentin Patent Litigation, MDL Docket No. 1384, Master Docket No. 00-CV-2931 (FSH) (PS) (D.N.J.).
- Defended a patent infringement action for a generic version of the osteoporosis product Actonel, the active ingredient of which is risedronate. Procter & Gamble Co., et al. v. Apotex Inc. and Apotex Corp., Civ. Action No. 09-0143 (JJF) (D.Del.).
- Counseled in a patent infringement action for a generic version of the anti-depressant product Effexor Xr, the active ingredient of which is venlafaxine hydrochloride. Wyeth v. Apotex Inc. and Apotex Corp., Civ. Action No. 08-022308 (S.D.Fla.).
- Defended a patent infringement action for a generic version of the Parkinson’s disease drug Azilect, the active ingredient of which is rasagiline. Watson Pharmaceuticals v. Teva Pharmaceuticals Inc. Civ. Action No. 10-5078 (D.N.J.)
University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1994
University of Iowa, Ph.D., 1988
University of Illinois, B.S., 1981
Illinois Leading Lawyers, Intellectual Property Law, 2009
State of Illinois, 2000
State of Texas, 1996
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2009; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1998
American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
Defense Research Institute, Member
Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago, Member
Licensing Executives Society, Member