Jeffrey S. Haut has a litigation practice focused on counseling corporate clients, non-profits, governmental entities, and individuals through a broad range of trial and appellate litigation matters in both state and federal court.
Jeffrey routinely represents clients in complex business and commercial litigation cases, including those involving breaches of contracts and promissory notes, shareholder and partnership disputes, breaches of fiduciary duty, securities and financial fraud, tortious interference, trade secrets, and violations of restrictive covenants. Jeffrey also has experience representing clients in construction litigation matters, real property disputes, land use and zoning disputes, and condominium disputes.
In the constitutional litigation arena, Jeffrey represents governmental entities and individuals in trial and appellate matters arising under the United States Constitution and Florida Constitution. This includes defending alleged civil rights violations under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, bringing and defending inverse condemnation claims, and assisting individuals in proceedings involving alleged violations of the First and Second Amendments to the United States Constitution.
On a national scale, Jeffrey represents clients responding to data breaches, cybersecurity incidents, real estate closing and wire transfer fraud, and business email compromise schemes. When a crisis occurs, Jeffrey acts as a “breach coach.” Jeffrey evaluates his clients’ potential legal liability to customers or governmental agencies, assesses the possibility of legal recourse against the responsible parties, directs forensic network investigations, coordinates with law enforcement, and advises his clients about any breach notification or regulatory reporting obligations under federal and state data security and privacy laws.
- Associate, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2019-present
- Attorney, Vernon Litigation Group, 2016-19; Summer Associate, 2015
- Summer Law Clerk, Office of Hon. Christine Greider, 20th Judicial Circuit for Collier County, 2014
- In consolidated appeals raising First and Second Amendment issues, successfully overturned injunctions improvidently entered against property owner pursuant to Section 784.0485, Fla. Stat. in connection with ongoing business dispute. Reported as: Carl Laquidara v. Mark Duane Houghtaling, Case No. 2D19-3372, –– So. 3d –– (Fla. 2d DCA 2021) and Carl Laquidara v. Denise Spaniak Houghtaling, Case No. 2D19-3372, –– So. 3d –– (Fla. 2d DCA 2021).
- Assisted in successful defense of municipality in related inverse condemnation appeals, holding that nuisance exception under Keshbro v. City of Miami, 801 So. 2d 864, 869 (Fla. 2001) applied to landowner’s claims and precluded entitlement to compensation under Florida Constitution and United States Constitution following one-year closure of landowner’s grocery store pursuant to nuisance abatement board order. Reported as: Abu-Khadier v. City of Fort Myers, 312 So. 3d 975 (Fla. 2d DCA 2020) and Abu-Khadier v. City of Fort Myers, 313 So. 3d 704 (Fla. 2d DCA 2020). Petition for writ of certiorari to Florida Supreme Court pending.
- Assisted in successful motion to remand inverse condemnation proceeding to state court on the basis that statutory exception to requirement that notice of removal be within 30-days of service, which allowed for removal if initial case was not removable, did not apply to defendant’s notice to remove. Reported as: Myakka River Resort, LLC v. City of North Port, 469 F. Supp. 3d 1323 (M.D. Fla. 2020).
- Obtained unanimous opinion without oral argument, holding that two international, non-resident defendants waived their timely objections to personal jurisdiction by seeking affirmative relief in the form of attorneys’ fees in their motions to dismiss. Reported as: TBI Caribbean Co. Ltd. v. Stafford-Smith, Inc., 239 So. 3d 103 (Fla. 3d DCA 2017).
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 2016
Honors & Activities: Maurer Fellowship; Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition Executive Board, Executive Judge Coordinator; Dean's Advisory Committee; Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research, Intern
Florida Gulf Coast University, B.A., magna cum laude, Political Science, 2013
International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member
America Inns of Court Michael R.N. McDonnell Chapter, Member, 2016-present; Team Co-Captain, 2018-19
American Inns of Court Calusa Chapter, Member, 2019-present
Collier County Bar Association, Member
Growing Associates in Naples™(GAIN™), The Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce, Class of 2019
Youth Leadership Collier™, The Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce™, 2008
State of Florida
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell
Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers®, Commercial Litigation, 2021
2019 Top Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Naples Illustrated
“40 Under 40” Honoree, Naples Herald, 2018