James Heffner is a litigation partner based out of Hahn Loeser’s San Diego office. James regularly represents companies, officers, directors, and individuals in a variety of matters in San Diego and throughout the country.
To each of his matters, James brings creativity, an unsurpassed passion for the law, a business background, and sound judgment that considers legal options in light of his clients’ objectives. James’ unique background combined with his extensive legal expertise enhances his ability to prepare advanced, rational, inventive, and winning strategies for each case. His emphasis on case-specific legal strategy results in efficient and effective tactics often unanticipated by the opposition.
James also has a long-standing interest in technology and the cutting-edge intersection of technology, business and the law. He applies his deep understanding of electronically stored information and communications to gain effective litigation advantages. He understands the contours of data preservation and production obligations in a variety of contexts and jurisdictions, giving his clients considerable advantages. He is knowledgeable of the most recent innovations related to decentralized technology and business models, such as blockchains, cryptocurrencies, smart contracts, ICOs and how the related legal frameworks are developing.
James’ practice primarily involves class-action defense, the litigation of disputes arising from the movement of employees or confidential/trade secret information between competitors, litigation over breaches of duty, and counseling on the implications of technology and the law.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2016-present; Associate, 2012-15.
- Litigation Associate, Morris Polich and Purdy, 2009-12.
- Commercial Litigation Associate, Reed Smith, 2006-09; Summer Associate, 2005.
- USF Law Clinic, Investor Justice Center, 2005-06.
- In-House Counsel Internship, Panalpina Group, 2004.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 company through appeal defending a breach of fiduciary duty class action resulting in success and a judgment awarding defense fees in excess of $1 million.
- Successful defense at trial of the chairman of the board of a Fortune 500 company against a multi-million dollar claim for interference with contract.
- Successful defense of a Fortune 500 retailer company against a class action arising out of the sale of a diet drug.
- Favorable resolution of multiple trade secret matters representing both plaintiffs and defendants.
- Successful defense of a major pharmaceutical company against a product liability claim seeking $20 million in damages.
- Successful defense of one of the world’s largest banks against numerous claims for violation of fair credit reporting and fair debt collection laws.
University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., Top 5%, magna cum laude, 2006
Honors & Activities: Merit Scholarship Recipient; Law Review Senior Staff, Member; 2nd Place Moot Court National Environmental Negotiations Competition; Moot Court Best Oral Argument; CALI Award for Excellence in Corporations, Property, Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure; Business Law Association, President and Founder; Dean’s Honor Society; Student Senate, Member
Arizona State University, W.P. Carey School of Business, Business Management, B.S., 2002
Welsh Inn of Court, Active Alumni Member
La Jolla Bar Association, Member
San Diego Bar Association, Member
Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Member
State of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
Top 40 Under 40 honoree, San Diego Daily Transcript, 2018
"Top Lawyer," San Diego Magazine, Complex Commercial Litigation, 2018
Rising Star, San Diego Super Lawyers®, 2015-16, 2018
AV Preeminent ®, Martindale-Hubbell
Welsh Inn Presentation Award, 2014-15