Christopher T. O’Shaughnessy is a construction and commercial litigator and partner in Hahn Loeser’s Columbus, Ohio, office. He has extensive experience representing general contractors, design professionals, owners, developers and subcontractors in all aspects of construction and construction dispute-related matters across the country. His practice emphasizes public and private construction law, real estate, oil and gas litigation, and related areas of commercial litigation. He has served as lead trial lawyer on numerous cases involving hundreds of millions of dollars.
For more than 20 years, Chris has served the construction industry as a trial attorney, transactional counselor, advocate and mediator. His client base includes general contractors, design professionals, owners, developers and subcontractors in all aspects of construction and construction dispute-related matters throughout the United States. He has also worked on projects involving billions of dollars in construction costs. He has tried cases before various state and federal courts as well as arbitration panels. He also handles general commercial litigation and advises businesses on risk management issues.
Chris regularly speaks to industry and trade groups, including the Associated General Contractors of Ohio and The Ohio State University.
- Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2015-present
- Partner, McDonald Hopkins, 2014-15
- Partner, Welin, O’Shaughnessy & Scheaf LLC, 2012-14
- Partner, Thompson Hine LLP, 2006-12
- Defended international engineering and construction management firm in highly publicized Deutsche Bank Building litigation in New York City related to deconstruction project resulting from 9/11 terrorist attack.
- Prosecuted Luzerne County, Pennsylvania public authority’s claims against general contractor on convention center GMP project.
- Prepared and negotiated project delivery contracts for private aviation company’s development and expansion project at Columbus Regional Airport.
- Prosecuted contractor’s breach of contract and retention claim in $32 million water treatment plant project.
- Defended design engineer against $50+ million delay claim arising from Toledo bascule span bridge project,
- Negotiated and prepared construction contracts on water treatment plant project.
- Represented contractor in West Virginia water treatment plant dispute with public owner.
- Protested bid awards by public authorities for contractors and defended architects and construction managers in bid disputes.
- Prepared “front end” documents in relation to various commercial construction projects.
- Prosecuted homeowners’ Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act and fraud claims against roofer.
- Prepared contract documents for owners, contractors and design firms for public and private projects.
- Obtained dismissal for general contractor against subcontractor’s breach of contract and prompt pay claims.
- Registered the copyrights of plans and specifications, literary works, visual arts and sound recordings with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Protected entertainers against trademark infringement claims, arbitrations and lawsuits.
- Registered a British company to do business in the United States and assisted with business considerations.
- Represented a design firm in arbitration against owner’s claims for defective design and scheduling delays related to design and construction of county jail facility.
- Represented electrical subcontractor in lawsuit alleging poor workmanship brought by insurer of country club damaged by fire.
- Represented general contractor in lawsuit involving claims of defective workmanship and product failure related to $40,000,000+ private residence.
- Defended engineering firm against wrongful death case involving construction traffic routing and inadequate construction zone warnings.
- Represented Short North Arches project design for professionals against city’s defective design claims.
- Obtained dismissal for construction manager against wrongful death claim of estate of mason resulting from failure to provide proper fall protection.
- Defended design builder against defective design and construction claims resulting in collapse of roof.
- Represented engineering firm against school board and 12 adjacent property owners’ claims for inadequate field observation and defective design resulting in excessive water run-off and aggravation of subsurface water problems.
- Obtained jury verdict for brick restoration contractor’s unpaid work against historic home owner and defeated owner’s defective work claims.
- Defended and obtained dismissal for real estate agents against breach of fiduciary duty and fraud lawsuit brought by clients.
- Prosecuted claim under the Architectural Works Copyright Act of 1990 to protect original
Capital University Law School, J.D., 1997
The Ohio State University, B.A., 1993
After-School All Stars Ohio, National Board of Directors, 2015-present; Chairman of the Board of Directors, 2013-present
New Albany Country Club Community Association, Board of Trustees, 2011-12
Leadership Columbus, Graduate, 2011
The Builders Exchange of Central Ohio, Outreach Speaker
Franklin County Common Pleas Settlement Week, Volunteer Mediator
Columbus Bar Association’s Construction Law Committee, Registered Arbitrator and Mediator
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law’s Mock Court Competition, Mock Court Judge, 2008
International Association of Defense Counsel’s Trial Academy in Boulder, CO, Graduate
New Albany Girls Rec Basketball, Coach, 2014-present
New Albany Travel Baseball Team and New Albany Rec Baseball, Coach, 2009-11 and 2012-14
Ohio Super Lawyers®, Construction Litigation, 2015-19
M&A Awards: Business Litigation Lawyer of the Year – USA, 2015
Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2005, 2009-11
Business First, “Top Lawyers in Central Ohio"
Excellence for the Future Award – The Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction
Who’s Who in American Law, America and the World, Marquis Who LLC
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow, 2012
State of Ohio, 1997
Supreme Court of Ohio; U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Northern Districts of Ohio; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Columbus Bar Foundation, Fellow
The Builders Exchange of Central Ohio, Member
The Associated General Contractors of Ohio, Affiliate Member
American Bar Association, Member
Ohio State Bar Association, Member
Columbus Bar Association, Member