Bonie S. Montalvo focuses her legal practice in the areas of estate planning, business succession planning, tax planning and nonprofit law. Bonie works with individual and corporate clients to understand their estate planning goals and devises tailored plans to help her clients meet those goals while maximizing their tax advantage.
Bonie drafts wills, trusts and other estate planning documents, and assists with probate administration in several Southwest Florida counties. She also has experience assisting clients with business entity formation, including corporate, non-corporate and nonprofit. Bonie has her LL.M. in Taxation and often advises her clients on FIRPTA filings and tax controversy issues related to trust and estate matters. Proficient in Spanish, Bonie meets with both English and Spanish speaking clients to counsel them through various matters relating to estate planning, probate, and estate and trust administration.
Bonie frequently writes on various trust and estate topics, including gift planning, tax planning, wills, and the impact of digital assets on estate planning.
- Associate, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, 2019-present
- Associate, Wood, Buckel & Carmichael, 2017-19
- Summer Clerk, Goodman Breen & Gibbs, 2015-16
- Summer Clerk, Florida 20th Judicial Circuit, 2014
- Author, “To Will or Not To Will,” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, July 2019.
- Author, “Tax Refunds Decrease for 2018 Returns While Income Tax Brackets Increase for 2019,” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, March 2019.
- Author, “This Valentine's Day Give the Gift of Planning,” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, February 2019.
- Author, “How The New Tax Law Will Affect Your 2018 Tax Return,” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, January 2019.
- Author, “Make The Most Out of Your Gift Tax Exclusion This Holiday Season,” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, December 2018.
- Author, “What is Cryptocurrency and How is It Taxed?” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, November 2018.
- Author, “Guardianship Abuse and How to Prevent It,” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, October 2018.
- Author, “What Happens to Our Digital Assets When We Die?” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, September 2018.
- Author, “Dying While Separated...When Your Estranged Spouse Controls Your Funeral,” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, July 2018.
- Author, “Have you Disclosed Your Foreign Assets to The IRS?” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, June 2018.
- Author, “Your Checklist When Going to the Doctor,” Health & Wellness Magazine, Collier Edition, July 2017.
- Author, “Be Tweet Life And Death: Utilizing Social Media While Avoiding Legal Malpractice,” The Florida Bar Journal, July 2015.
University of Florida Levin College of Law, LL.M. Taxation, cum laude, 2017
University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2016
Honors & Activities: Estate Planning Certificate; Community Service Certificate;
Pro Bono Certificate; Elder Law, Fall 2015 Book Award; Florida Journal of International Law,
General Editor; Florida Bar Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section, Ad Hoc Study Committee Member;
2015 Law Student Essay Contest Winner, Young Lawyers Division of The Florida Bar.
Florida Gulf Coast University, B.S., Legal Studies, B.A., Political Science, Interdisciplinary Studies Minor, magna cum laude, 2013.
Honors & Activities: Hall of Fame Inductee, 2013; College Student of the Year
Southwest Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, 2013.
- State of Florida, 2016
- Collier County Guadalupe Center of Immokalee
- Naples Council of World Affairs
- Naples VITA
- Legal Aid of Collier County
- Legal Aid Attorney of the Month, Legal Aid of Collier County, March 2018
- Certified County Mediator, Florida Supreme Court, 2016
- Notary Public, State of Florida, 2016-20
- Spanish (Native – Proficient)
- Florida Bar Association, Member
- Collier County Bar Association, Trust & Estates Section, Young Lawyers Section
- Collier County Women’s Bar Association, Member