Arthur M. Kaufman, a partner in the firm’s Litigation Area, represents companies and individuals in business litigation, including the prosecution and defense of claims for breach of contract and fiduciary duties, fraud, theft of trade secrets, non-competes and other unfair competition claims.
In 20-plus years of practice, Art has focused on representing national and international insurance companies in hundreds of coverage disputes. Art understands the unique needs and interests of an insurer and the issues they face.
Art also represents franchisors in disputes over franchise relationship, use of trademarks and other franchise operation issues. He has also had experience in many areas of class action defense. Art is an effective and persuasive communicator whether in court or the board room.
- Represented major insurance carrier in three contemporaneous coverage actions seeking damages in excess of $40 million and obtained dismissals in each without payment of any defense or indemnity dollars.
- Represented world’s largest distributor of exercise equipment in purported class action alleging violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and defeated class certification.
- Lead counsel representing five hospitals in class action complaint alleging overcharges for hospital records. After class certified, dismissal obtained without payment of any damages or settlement.
- Counsel for one of the world’s largest franchisors in case alleging breach of contract, fraud and theft of trade secrets. Obtained dismissal without payment of any settlement dollars.
- Tried two cases in which clients were awarded their attorneys’ fees and costs.
Art is listed in the 2010-15 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the category of Insurance Law, and in the 2007-14 editions of Ohio Super Lawyers. Art is AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest available rating for legal ability and professional ethics.