O. Judson Scheaf is a partner in Hahn Loeser’s Columbus office and has almost 30 years of extensive experience in civil litigation, including trial and appellate work. He handles complex commercial litigation matters, including construction, antitrust, oil and gas, unfair competition, patent, copyright, trade secret, investment banker malpractice, and land use disputes. Prior to joining Hahn Loeser, Jud was a founding member of Welin, O’Shaughnessy + Scheaf LLC (WOS), a Columbus based boutique law firm specializing in construction law, complex business litigation and oil and gas litigation.
Jud previously practiced commercial litigation and energy law at an Am Law 200 law firm, where he was vice chair of the Business Litigation Practice Group, and had focused on construction law, complex business and oil and gas litigation. In addition, Jud worked at CGAS Exploration, Inc. as vice president and general counsel. Earlier, he served as law clerk to the Honorable Alan E. Norris, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Jud has been named one of The Best Lawyers in America (Litigation, Construction, Intellectual Property Litigation, and Land Use Litigation) for the past 8 years. He maintains an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest available rating for legal ability and professional ethics.
- Multiple successful representations of clients in opposing class action certifications, as well as obtaining decertification of classes previously certified.
- Successfully represented patent holder and inventor in successful prosecution of patent infringement claim relating to plastic corrugated pipe technologies.
- Ongoing defense of clients accused of patent infringement, including changes to patent validity and enforceability.
- Architect of ongoing process patent litigation combining numerous nationwide proceedings into a single consolidated Multi-District Litigation venue for purposes of claim construction and validity issues.
- Successfully participated in representing a Fortune 500 company for claims against investment banking firm for breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Represented numerous clients with interests in closely-held companies in relation to ownership disputes.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended numerous actions for injunctive relief relating to restrictive covenants and noncompetition agreements.
- Successfully represented large closely-held company in pursuing and defending against claims involving false advertising and unfair competition.
- Successfully participated in the representation of an insurance company defending against claims totaling in excess of $50 million in relation to spinoff liability brought by its former parent company.
- Successfully represented large construction contractor in relation to claims in excess of $16 million for the installation of equipment in a steel processing plant.
- Participated in the successful prosecution of claims by the owner of a retail shopping mall for environmental contamination against one of its former tenants.
- Regularly represent local governments in complex zoning, annexation, and intragovernmental disputes.
- Successfully defended against differing site condition claims brought against a city in relation to the construction of a water treatment facility.
- Represent clients in respect to oil and gas producing interests, and related litigation.
Capital University Law School, J.D., valedictorian, summa cum laude, 1988
Utah State University/Franklin University, B.P.A., summa cum laude, 1985
Ohio Oil and Gas Association
Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
Independent Petroleum Association of America
Ohio State Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association
Delaware County Bar Association
Admitted to the Ohio Bar, 1988.
Licensed to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio; the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Sixth Circuits; the United States Supreme Court; and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
American Jurisprudence Awards for: Constitutional Law, Property, Contracts, Secured Transactions, Business Associations, Oil and Gas, Civil Procedure, Remedies, and Insurance Law Who’s Who in America (2004-07)
AV® Preeminent™ rating Martindale-Hubbell
Ohio Super Lawyers (2004-07, 2009-17)
Listed as one of the Top 50 Lawyers in Columbus, Ohio by Super Lawyers (2014 and 2016)
Named by Columbus Business First as one of Central Ohio’s Best Lawyers, as voted by his peers
Named one of The Best Lawyers in America (Litigation, Construction, Intellectual Property Litigation, and Land Use Litigation) (2009-16)
Named by Columbus Business First as a Who’s Who In Energy Columbus (2013 and 2014)