As Partner-In-Charge of the San Diego office and co-chair of Hahn Loeser’s San Diego Litigation Practice group, Mike prides himself on both understanding the law and knowing each individual client. This enables him to understand each client’s expectations, keep the client informed, ensure expectations are met and deliver a compelling narrative for the case tied to every unique client and case.
At Hahn Loeser
In his practice as a commercial litigation lawyer, Mike has represented clients in nearly every industry, including escrow, title insurance, real estate, oil and gas, consumer credit, food, entertainment, manufacturing, retail and insurance. These representations include issues related to product liability, business tort, unfair competition and consumer protection statutes, bad faith insurance, the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act, Proposition 65 (California's Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act), the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act.
Mike’s experience in defending class actions includes eliminating proposed class actions on the merits prior to the certification decision, successfully opposing class certification motions, decertifying previously certified classes, negotiating settlements of class claims and obtaining the necessary court approval of those class settlements, and trial of class action lawsuits. En route to achieving these successful outcomes, Mike has gained extensive skills in investigating class action allegations, identifying the key issues to attack the merits and class claims, efficiently handling large amounts of discovery and e-discovery, and addressing the variety of complex issues that can arise in a class action.
- NNN Parkway Corporate Plaza B v. Hirschler Fleischer, APC, Court of Appeal of California, fourth Appellate District, 2017 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 1927, in which Mike successfully argued before a California Appellate Court to affirm a dismissal obtained for the client.
- Hutton v. Fidelity National Title Company, Superior Court of California, Kern County, 213 Cal. App. 4th 486, in which Mike successfully argued before a California Appellate Court to affirm a summary judgment obtained for the client in a class action
- Bergman v. Fidelity National Financial, United States District Court, Central District of California, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 171334 (summary judgment granted in proposed RESPA national class action)
- Henson v. Fidelity National Financial, United States District Court, Central District of California, 300 F.R.D. 413 (class certification denied in proposed RESPA nationwide class)
- Kingsberry v. Chicago Title Insurance Company, United States District Court, Western District of Washington, 258 F.R.D. 668 (class certification denied in proposed statewide class)
- Villanueva v. Fidelity National Title Company, Superior Court of California, Santa Clara County, No. 1-10-CV-173356, in which after successfully eliminating claims and certain class allegations via motion practice, Mike was part of a trial team that defeated plaintiff’s claims seeking more than $35 million
- Ramirez v. Fidelity National Title Insurance Company, United States District Court, District of Arizona, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 142894 (class decertification motion granted related to a state-wide class of title insurance purchasers)
- Sarnecky v. Fidelity National Title Company, Superior Court of California, San Diego County, 2015 Cal. Unpub. LEXIS 7584 (motion for judgment on the pleadings granted related to proposed class members’s claims; affirmed on appeal)
University of Buffalo, B.A., History, magna cum laude, 1998. Honors and activities: member, Phi Beta Kappa; highest honors in History Department; Dean's List; member, Phi Alpha Theta History Honors Society; member, Golden Key Honors Society; Outstanding Student in Political Science
Cornell Law School, J.D., 2001 o Honors and activities: general editor, Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy; member, Phi Delta Phi •
California Bar Association
San Diego Bar Association
Association of Business Trial Attorneys
Admitted to the Ohio Bar, 2001 (Inactive); California Bar, 2011
Licensed to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio; U.S. District Court for the Central District of California; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California; U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
“Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars,” Ohio Super Lawyers, 2010-11
“California Rising Stars,” Southern California Super Lawyers, 2015-16
“Multi-State Class Action Defense Attorney of the Year in California,” Global Law Experts and CorporateINTL, 2014 and 2015
"Top Lawyer," Civil Litigation, San Diego Magazine, 2017
Maintains an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest available rating for legal ability and professional ethics