As a patent and trademark attorney, Lou is dedicated to excellence. His experience as a chemist at British Petroleum, an in-house attorney at Avery Dennison Corp. and outside patent counsel for various international companies gives him a unique perspective on intellectual property. His background enables him to understand the impact of the patenting process from three different points of view – the inventor, the patent attorney and the patent litigator.
Lou is passionate about helping his clients succeed in a difficult and competitive marketplace, demanding excellence from both himself and from his clients. Clients become like family to him, and that is achieved by teamwork, with the attorney and the client becoming more than the sum of the parts.
Lou previously worked as a research chemist, and he is an inventor on multiple patents. He believes that being a patent attorney is very similar to being a chemist, but without the exposure to unsafe chemicals.
At Hahn Loeser
In his work as a patent and trademark attorney, Lou specializes in patent prosecution, patent litigation and related Internet issues, including conflicting rights between traditional brick-and-mortar intellectual property rights and those of Internet startups. He has handled litigation matters including copyright infringements, trademark infringements and patent litigation in both the mechanical and pharmaceutical arts. His practice also includes extensive opinion writing, particularly right-to-use opinions, and he has served as an expert witness in several intellectual property matters.
Lou is a member of the Hudson Board of Zoning & Appeals and an adjunct professor at the University of Akron School of Law.
Lou participates in several half marathons each year and is learning to fly single-engine planes.
A Few Clients
- Dover Chemical Corp., a division of ICC Industries, Inc.
- Fomo Products, Inc., a member of the FLM Group
- OM Group
- Aultman Hospital
- Lincoln Electric Company
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation
- University of Akron v. Shell Oil Co., 5:92 CV 02346, (N.D. OH, 1992).
- Borden Borders, Inc. v. Decorel, Inc. 5:93 CV 02106 (N.D. OH, 1993).
- In re Morgan, 92-1278 (Fed. Cir. 1993).
- Edward Rodriguez & Co., v. Ohio Wholesale, Inc., 8:00 CV 912 T 30 E (M.D. FL 2000).
- JRB Co. v. Pemberton, Inc., 91 F. Supp. 2d 1112 (6th 2000).
- Aspex et al. Sears, Roebuck & Co., 01 CV 4050 (S.D.N.Y. 2001).
- Aspex et al. v. BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc., 01 CV 4062 (S.D.N.Y. 2001).
- Krieger v. Four Paws Products, Ltd., 5:01 CV 01014 (N.D. OH, 2001).
- Nestle USA, Inc. v. Sara Lee Bakery Group, 1:01 CV 02074 (N.D. OH, 2001).
- Yoder Brothers, Inc. v. Gro Link Plant Company, Inc. 5:01 CV 02308 (N.D. OH, 2001).
- Aspex et al. v. Global Optical Resources, 02 CV 4082 (S.D.N.Y. 2002).
- GoJo Industries, Inc. et al. v. D-A Specialty Co., Inc. et al., 5:02 CV 02228 (N.D. OH, 2002).
- Lexi Comp, et al. v. Merck & CO., Inc., 5:02 CV 00461 (N.D. OH, 2002).
- Ludo, LLC v. Broshi et al., 1:02 CV 02348 (N.D. OH, 2002).
- Marchon et al. v. Global Optical Resources, Inc., 02 CV 5323 (E.D.N.Y. 2002).
- Plastic Safety Systems, Inc. v. Kenmore Construction Co., Inc., 5:03 CV 00188 (N.D. OH, 2003).
- Breckenridge Pharmaceutical Inc. v. First Horizon Pharmaceutical Corporation, 04-60514 (S.D. FL 2004).
- Breckenridge v. Metabolite Laboratories, Inc., 04-80090-CIV (S.D. FL 2004).
- Breckenridge v. Metabolite Laboratories, Inc., 04-81081-CIV (S.D. FL 2004).
- Metabolite Laboratories, Inc. v. AmerisourceBergen Corporation et al., 04-CV-2501 (D. Colorado 2004).
- Breckenridge Pharmaceutical Inc. v. Metabolite Laboratories, Inc., 05-CV-1083 (D. Colorado 2005).
- Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. v. Duffy, 4:05 CV 01919 (N.D. OH, 2005).
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. v. Armstrong, 4:05 CV 01918 (N.D. OH, 2005).
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. v. Butler, 5:05 CV 01920 (N.D. OH, 2005).
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. v. McCombs, 5:05 CV 01921 (N.D. OH, 2005).
- Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. v. Chordell Sales, 5:06 CV 00693 (N.D. OH, 2006).
- Corghi S.P.A. v. Golden Chest Americas, LLC. et al., 06-CV-01395 (D. Nevada 2006).
- Disney Enterprises, Inc. v. Pasquarelli, 1:06 CV 01153 (N.D. OH, 2006).
- Paramount Pictures Corp. et al., v. Barr, 4:06 CV 00694 (N.D. OH, 2006).
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. v. Roberson, 5:06 CV 00695 (N.D. OH, 2006).
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. v. Robertson, 1:06 CV 01154 (N.D. OH, 2006).
- Disney Enterprises, Inc., et al. v. Mason, 4:07 CV 03458 (N.D. OH, 2007).
- Lifelink Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. NDA Consulting, Inc. et al., 5:07 CV 00785 (N.D. OH, 2007).
- PCE Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. et al. v. Glover, 4:07 CV 03459 (N.D. OH, 2007).
- Screen Gems, Inc. v. Williams, 4:07 CV 03456 (N.D. OH, 2007).
- John F. Novak et al. v. John O. Farneman et al., 2:10 cv 00768 (S.D. OH 2010).
The University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 1984
The University of Pittsburgh, M.S., Inorganic Chemistry, 1977
Washington and Jefferson College, B.A., Chemistry, magna cum laude, 1974
Ohio Bar Association: member
Akron Bar Association: member
Scientific Journals International: Editorial Review Board
American Chemical Society: member
Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association: member
Admitted to the Ohio Bar, 1984
Licensed to practice before the Federal District Court, Northern District of Ohio; United States Patent and Trademark Office, Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit: U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, District of Colorado; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; and U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
AV® Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell (highest available rating for legal ability and professional ethics).
“Ohio Super Lawyers,” Law & Politics, 2004-07
The Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property Law, Patent Litigation, Patent Law, Trademark Law, 2012-16