Lawrence E. Oscar, former CEO and managing partner of Hahn Loeser & Parks, serves as a key advisor to executive management at NYSE and Fortune 1000 companies. He provides counsel for a wide range of situations and issues, including overall strategy, dispute resolution, employee relations, mergers and acquisitions, political developments and pricing strategies, among others.
Ranked as one of the top Bankruptcy/Restructuring lawyers in Ohio, according to Chambers USA, Larry’s clients praise his “unique ability to see the most important aspects of a case or situation before others,” and appreciate that he “truly grasps the economic situation and places business issues at the fore.”
Larry’s significant knowledge and business acumen has made him a trusted counselor to businesses, secured and unsecured creditors, creditors’ committees, debtors and trustees in reorganization and insolvency matters; financial institutions, vendors and other creditor or debtor interests in connection with numerous workout, composition and extension arrangements; and acquirers of financially distressed businesses inside and outside of bankruptcy proceedings.
- Chief Executive Officer and Managing Partner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP, January 2009 to 2017. Past Co-Chair, Creditors’ Rights, Reorganization and Bankruptcy Area. Board of Directors, June 1999 to present. Partner, 1989 to present. Associate, 1981-89.
Larry serves as chair of the board of directors of the Cleveland Leadership Center. As an art enthusiast, he proudly serves as a member of the board of trustees and the executive committee of the Museum of Contemporary Art and is a member of the Dean’s Visiting Committee at the Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
- Born in Chicago, Illinois on June 2, 1956. Married to Jeanne Shatten. Resides in Shaker Heights, Ohio with five children.
A Few Clients
- Clevland-Cliffs Inc.
- A&P Technology, Inc.
- Durrel Corp.
- T&W Forge Inc.
- Transue & Williams Stamping Co. Inc.
- Hugo Boss USA Inc.
- Materion Inc.
- Lincoln Electric
Representative Clients and Transactions
- Cleveland-Cliffs Inc., USAA; The CIT Group
- Workout and bankruptcy matters;
- Represent these institutions in asset-based loan transactions;
- Acquisitions of financially troubled businesses.
- Monarch Steel Company
- Represents all matters of bankruptcy;
- Customer and vendor issues.
- A&P Technology, Inc. (high tech provider of braided textiles)
- Represent 7th generation family business;
- General corporate advice;
- Intellectual property rights protection.
- Ferragamo USA, Inc. (luxury goods manufacturer and distributor)
- Store and distribution issues;
- Real estate development issues.
- Hugo Boss USA, Inc. (international manufacturer and vendor of high fashion apparel)
- Supplier, customer, and employment disputes and litigation;
- Trade name and trademark matters;
- Real estate matters;
- Labor and employment issues;
- Distribution and antitrust issues;
- General legal advice. Durrel Corp. (“mini-conglomerate” of metal processors: T&W Forge, Inc. (now sold), Transue & Williams Stamping Co., Inc., and MC Machine.)
- Represent affiliated group of individual businesses serving heavy industry;
- General corporate and control issues;
- Labor and employment matters;
- Customer relations matters;
- Business acquisitions.
- A&W Foods, Inc. (Ohio’s largest independent food distributor)
- Original acquisitions of assets and business, January 1990;
- Subsequent acquisitions of substantial new business line and new 300,000 sq. ft. office/distribution terminal facility;
- Trademark and trade name matters;
- Supplier, customer, employment and other litigation of all types;
- Distribution agreements and antitrust issues;
- Corporate planning;
- Handled sale of business.
Chapter 11 Proceedings
- In re AmTrust Financial Corporation (Creditors’ Committee)
- In re Schwab Industries, Inc. (Debtor)
- Metalworks Worldwide, Inc. (Judicial Dissolution)
- LoPresti & Sons, Inc. (Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors)
- In re WCI, Inc. (Chair of Creditors’ Committee & major vendor)
- In re Rouge Steel Inc. (Largest vendor and secured creditor)
- In re Weirton Steel Corporation (Creditors’ Co-Chair & major vendor)
- In re Level Propane, Inc. (Largest Equipment Financer)
- In re LTV Steel Company, Inc. (LTV II) (Chair of Creditors’ Committee)
- In re Phar-Mor Stores, Inc. (Special Counsel Reorganized Debtor)
- In re Barneys New York (Counsel to Committee Member with Respect to Claim Sale)
- In re The LTV Corporation and LTV Steel Company, Inc. (LTV I) (Indenture Trustee)
- In re Federated Stores, Inc. (Creditors’ Committee)
- In re White Motor Corporation (Creditors’ Committee and Disposition Assets Trustee)
- In re Simetco, Inc. (Debtor)
- In re Sharon Steel Corporation (Major Unsecured Creditor)
- In re Hauserman, Inc. (Chair of Creditors’ Committee)
- In re Revco D.S., Inc. (Indenture Trustee)
- In re Action Auto Rental, Inc. (Creditors’ Committee)
- In re Enduro Stainless, Inc. (Creditors’ Committee and Trustee)
- In re Chapter 11, Cardinal Industries, Inc. (Unsecured Creditor)
- In re Howard Industries, Inc. (Debtor)
- In re Unimet, Inc. (Debtor)
- In re Primeline Industries, Inc. (Creditors’ Committee)
- In re Oak Street Mortgage LLC (Represent Creditors’ Committee);
- In re Austin Company (Represent major creditor);
- In re Regional Diagnostics, Inc. (Counsel to Creditors’ Committee);
- In re PHD, Inc. (Counsel to Creditors’ Committee)
New York University School of Law, J.D., 1981. Comprehensive paper, “Equitable Sub-ordination Under the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1978.”
Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, B.S. (Economics), cum laude,
Honors & Activities: Finance Major; significant studies include financial analysis, capital budgeting, capital structure, working capital management, portfolio theory, financial and managerial accounting, and risk management; Four year varsity letter winner in football.
Cleveland Leadership Center: Chair of the Board of Directors, 2015-present; Board of Trustees, 2009-present; Executive Committee
Museum of Contemporary Art: Board of Trustees, 2003-present; Executive Committee
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2013-present; Dean’s Visiting Committee
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Bankruptcy, “Eminent Practitioner,” current edition
The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law, current edition
Ohio Super Lawyers, current edition
AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Admitted to Ohio Bar, 1981
Licensed to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Sixth and Seventh Circuits; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Business Law Section, American Bar Association: Committees on Commercial Financial Services and Business Bankruptcy
Ohio State Bar Association: Banking, Commercial and Bankruptcy Law Committee
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association: Member
American Bankruptcy Institute: Member