As a litigation lawyer and partner in Hahn Loeser’s Cleveland office, Justin has significant experience representing small businesses and large corporations in lawsuits and class actions in state and federal trial courts throughout the United States. Known for his attention to detail, Justin works diligently to synthesize facts and complex laws to effectively advocate for his clients in court, with governmental agencies, and with opposing counsel. Justin currently chairs the firm’s Recruiting Committee.
Before obtaining his law degree, Justin served as a police officer with the Gallatin Police Department in Gallatin, Tennessee. He co-wrote the department’s General Directives Manual, later served as the department’s spokesperson and directed the department’s crime prevention and community affairs unit.
At Hahn Loeser
Justin has considerable experience litigating insurance bad faith claims, class actions, title policy claims, closing protection letter (CPL) claims, banks’ underwriting practices and noncompete contracts, as well as claims involving breach of contract, fraud, products liability, tortious interference and consumer protection acts.
Justin is a member of the Cleveland Leadership Center’s Leadership Council, the After-School All-Star’s Cleveland Advisory Board, and the Legal Aid Society of Cleveland’s Partners-In-Justice.
Justin lives in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, with his wife, Penelope, and two young sons. In his spare time, Justin researches his family’s genealogy and listens to music.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in a week-long trial in Summit County, Ohio Common Pleas Court, involving allegations of mortgage fraud. Trial court granted a directed verdict to Fortune 500 company, resulting in a complete dismissal of all claims against his client.
- Represented title insurer in multi-million dollar class action involving alleged violations of the State of Washington’s Consumer Protection Act in King County, Washington Superior Court. Trial court found title insurer not liable following three-day bench trial.
- Represented client in confidential investigation conducted by a state agency. State agency subsequently closed its investigation without filing charges or assessing any fine.
- Represented title insurers in two multi-million dollar lawsuits involving alleged breaches of closing protection letters in Oakland County and Genesee County, Michigan Circuit Courts. Both trial courts granted summary judgment to the title insurers. Represented tool company in theft of trade secrets case where former employees took the company's client lists and strategies. Obtained a permanent injunction prohibiting the former employees from utilizing the company's client lists and strategies.
- Carter v. Welles-Bowen Realty, Inc., 735 F.3d 722 (6th Cir. 2013) (affirming trial court's decision that the defendants satisfied the safe harbor requirement of 12 U.S.C. 2607 and that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's policy statement was not entitled to deference).
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 2005
- Honors: Dean’s List; Student Authorities Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law.
The University of Toledo, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude, with College and Departmental Honors, 1997
- Honors: member, Phi Kappa Phi; member, Mortar Board National Honor Society; member, Phi Sigma Alpha; member, Golden Key National Honor Society; member, Omicron Delta Kappa.
American Bar Association, member
Ohio State Bar Association, member
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, member
Ohio Land Title Association, member
Admitted to the Ohio Bar, 2005
Licensed to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 2006, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2007, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2009.
Graduate, Cleveland Leadership Center’s Civic Leadership Institute, Spring 2014
Graduate, Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Citizens’ Academy, 2006
Recipient, Gallatin Police Department’s Community Service Award, 2003
Member of the Year, Nashville Area Junior Chamber of Commerce, 2001
New Member of the Year, Nashville Area Junior Chamber of Commerce, 2000