As a partner in the litigation area and the firm’s director of Legal Personnel Relations, Eric is a seasoned commercial litigation attorney with significant first and second chair trial and arbitration experience. As a lead attorney, he has managed litigation teams in a range of complex, high-exposure disputes, designing strategies that have guided clients from the pre-litigation planning stage through the highest levels of appeal.
At Hahn Loeser
In the firm’s litigation area, Eric represents companies and individuals in state and federal trial and appellate courts across the country. He is experienced in pre-litigation claim strategy and avoidance, complex commercial contract and business disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, business tort and negligence claims noncompete agreements and trade secrets. He also has extensive experience in product liability actions, fiduciary litigation, real estate litigation, commercial and securities fraud, shareholder and partnership disputes, and judgment execution and recovery. His breadth of experience and work across a variety of industries have contributed to an in-depth knowledge of insurance coverage and recovery disputes.
In the franchise industry, Eric has counseled franchisors in more than 40 disputes involving franchise termination, trademark infringement and other matters.
Eric has also represented clients in significant wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases.
As a member the Construction Law Practice Group, Eric represents owners, design professionals, sureties, general contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in construction disputes and AAA arbitrations. Well versed in all aspects of construction litigation and insurance matters, Eric has extensive experience with mechanic’s lien, payment and performance bond claims, and insurance recovery for both public and private projects.
Eric serves on the board of directors of the Law Alumni Association at Case Western Reserve School of Law and is a representative for the Law Firm Giving Challenge. He is a past president and current member of the board of directors of the Colgate Club of Cleveland and served as the chair of its Alumni Admissions Committee.
Dedicated to supporting tomorrow’s advocates, Eric is a frequent volunteer judge for moot court and mock trial competitions at area law schools and high schools. He is a mentor in the Supreme Court of Ohio’s Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentor Program and has also served as a volunteer lawyer for the Legal Aid Society of Cleveland. He is a 2015 graduate of the Cleveland Civic Leadership Institute and an active youth sports coach.
Eric is a native of Rochester, Michigan, and a graduate of Cleveland’s St. Ignatius High School. He lives in Avon, Ohio, with his wife and two children.
- Defended national franchisor of children’s entertainment facilities in high-stakes, catastrophic personal injury action alleging damages in excess of $30 million and involving more 50 defendants. Matter successfully resolved prior to trial.
- Lead trial counsel in federal action on behalf of client alleging claims against competitor and former employees for breach of fiduciary duty and other business torts. Achieved favorable verdict and damage award, which was subsequently affirmed on appeal.
- Defended national title and escrow company in a series of related actions stemming from the provision of escrow services for a $650 million condominium project in Maui, Hawaii and seeking damages in excess of $23 million. Obtained dismissal of certain actions and resolved others prior to trial.
- Defended national title and escrow company in a series of complex, consolidated actions related to a $30 million condominium infrastructure project, and seeking damages in excess of $6 million. Matter successfully resolved prior to trial.
- Long-standing representation of an estate and related investment entities in multi-forum litigation alleging securities fraud and non-registration claims in connection with investments in certain oil and gas securities. Following nearly two-week federal jury trial, achieved multi-million judgment, and successfully defended on appeal to Sixth Circuit.
- Represented Fortune 100 company in numerous construction-related disputes in both litigation and arbitration in a number of jurisdictions across Midwest and East Coast.
- Served as counsel to nation’s largest producer of ethanol and other biorefined products in multi-million dollar dispute relating to a $60 million contract for the design and construction of a material handling system for a solid waste fuel boiler.
- Represented leading Northeast Ohio manufacturing company in dispute regarding installation and warranty of a synthetic roofing system for a large portion of its Texas distribution facility. Claims successfully resolved prior to commencement of litigation.
- Trial counsel to national residential developer in dispute concerning concrete placement in a series of driveways in high-end development. Successfully defended contractor’s claims and obtained verdict for full amount of counterclaim.
- Represented national design/build contractor in dispute relating to design and installation of terrazzo flooring for 60,000 square foot federal government medical facility. Matter successfully resolved prior to trial.
- Lead arbitration counsel on behalf of national design/build contractor in significant change order dispute.
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2002. Honors and activities: member, Phi Delta Phi; International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award; William H. Wallace Award; student member, William K. Thomas Inns of Court; vice president, Jonathan M. Ault Mock Trial Team; Moot Court Board; Dean Dunmore Distinguished Advocate
Colgate University, B.A. in political science and English literature, 1999. Honors and activities: member, Konosioni Senior Honor Society; editor-in-chief, The Colgate Maroon-News; Campus Life Award; The Edward M. Stimets Memorial Award; member, Phi Eta Sigma; Beta Theta Pi, Alumni Association Award; intramural athletics
American Bar Association: Section of Litigation, Construction Litigation, and Pretrial Practice and Discovery Committees (co-chair, Motion Practice and Discovery Subcommittee, 2014-16; awarded Outstanding Subcommittee chair, 2015); Forum on Franchising: member
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association: member, Litigation Section, Civil Rules Committee
Lawyers Guild of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland: member
Admitted to the Ohio Bar, 2002
Licensed to practice before the United States Supreme Court; Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals; Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio and the Eastern District of Michigan
Admitted to practice pro hac vice in numerous federal and state jurisdictions throughout the country
AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest available rating for legal ability and professional ethics.
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Construction Law, 2012-13
“Ohio Rising Stars,” Ohio Super Lawyers, 2011
Selected as fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America: an invitation-only trial lawyer honorary society composed of less than one-half of 1 percent of American lawyers, based upon excellence and accomplishments in litigation at the trial and appellate levels
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Certified Advocate, National Institute for Trial Advocacy. Attended prestigious NITA National Session