Chris is a construction and commercial litigator and partner in Hahn Loeser’s Columbus, Ohio, office. His practice emphasizes public and private construction law, real estate, oil and gas litigation and related areas of commercial litigation. He has served as lead trial lawyer on numerous cases involving hundreds of millions of dollars.
At Hahn Loeser
For 18 years, Chris has served the construction industry as a trial attorney, transactional counselor, advocate and mediator. His client base includes general contractors, design professionals, owners, developers and subcontractors in all aspects of construction and construction dispute-related matters throughout the United States. He has also worked on projects involving billions of dollars in construction costs. He has tried cases before various state and federal courts as well as arbitration panels. Chris regularly speaks to industry and trade groups, including the Associated General Contractors of Ohio and The Ohio State University. He also handles general commercial litigation and advises businesses on risk management issues.
Chris serves as chairman of the board of All-Stars After School Ohio and as a member of After-School All-Stars’ National Board of Directors. In 2011, he was elected to the board of trustees of the New Albany Country Club Community Association.
He is a graduate of Leadership Columbus’ Class of 2011. Chris has mediated commercial disputes for Franklin County Common Pleas Settlement Week and the Columbus Bar Association’s Construction Law Committee. He has served as judge for The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law’s Mock Court Competitions.
He previously coached New Albany Girls Recreational Basketball and New Albany Boys Travel Baseball and Basketball.
Born in Princeton, New Jersey, Chris resides in New Albany, Ohio, with his wife, Renee, and his three children, Michael, Katie and Claire.
- Defended ENR Top Design Firm in highly publicized Deutsche Bank Building litigation in New York City related to deconstruction project resulting from 9/11 terrorist attack
- Prosecuted public authority’s claims against general contractor on Luzerne County, Pennsylvania Convention Center Project
- Prepared and negotiated project delivery contracts for private international aviation company’s development and expansion at Columbus Regional Airport
- Prosecuted regional contractor’s breach of contract claim in $32 million water treatment plant project
- Defended ENR Top 20 design engineer against more than $50 million delay claim arising from Toledo bascule span bridge project
- Defended Ohio’s largest general contractor against bid protest on Ohio public improvement project
- Represented Short North Arches project design professionals against the City’s defective design claims
- Obtained dismissal for ENR top three contractor against wrongful death claim brought by estate of mason alleging failure to provide proper fall protection
- Mediated commercial construction dispute between developer and general contractor
- Prosecuted homeowners’ Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act and fraud claims against roofer
- Defended OSHA citations in construction, including confined spaces, excavations, fall protection, fire protection, hazardous substances, masonry, scaffolds, and steel erection
- Prepared contract documents for owners, contractors and design firms for public and private projects
- Represented general contractor against billionaire’s claims related to $40-plus million private residence
- Defended and obtained dismissal for real estate agents against breach of fiduciary duty and fraud lawsuit brought by clients
- Prosecuted Architectural Works Copyright Act of 1990 claims to protect copyrighted designs
- Prosecuted and defended construction and commercial claims in court, arbitration and at mediation
Capital University Law School, J.D., 1997
The Ohio State University, B.A., 1993
Columbus Bar Foundation: fellow
American Bar Association: member
Ohio State Bar Association: member
Columbus Bar Association, Construction Law Committee: member
Associated General Contractors of Ohio: member
Builders Exchange of Central Ohio: member
Admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1997
Licensed to practice before the Supreme Court of Ohio; the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio; United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio; and United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Ohio Super Lawyers in 2015-17
"Rising Star" by Ohio Super Lawyers in 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2011
Top Lawyers in Columbus by Columbus CEO Magazine
M&A Award for Business Litigation Lawyer of the Year – USA, 2015
Business First’s Top Lawyers in Central Ohio
Excellence for the Future Award from The Center for Computer-assisted Legal Instruction
Who’s Who in American Law and Who’s Who in America by Marquis Who’s Who