Ben is a partner in Hahn Loeser’s Columbus office and focuses his practice on environmental, energy, facility security and emergency response. In his experience as a business litigation attorney, Ben’s business litigation and business corporate transaction experience is broad based and his clients range from individuals and small business to major corporations. His work includes assisting and educating clients on environmental compliance and permitting; providing emergency response services during catastrophic events; energy extraction, refining, production and distribution; creating legislative and regulatory solutions to business barriers as well as redevelopment, acquisition and divestiture of environmentally impaired commercial and industrial property. He provides his problem-solving solutions to clients on a nationwide basis and acts not just as an attorney but as a trusted business adviser.
At Hahn Loeser
Ben’s experience includes emergency response to eco-terrorism events and chemical releases to air and waterways, as well as facility fire and explosions; defending environmental permits before a regulatory hearing board clearing the way for construction of a metallurgical coke plant; helping a developer resolve complicated environmental and financing barriers to allow construction of a Town Center shopping mall on a former landfill; and providing environmental, health and safety counsel for the paper, chemical and polymer manufacturing industries.
His other significant sector work extends to being a National Practice team leader for a national law firm; establishing and managing a national corporate litigation defense team for a national insurance company; providing legal counsel on oil and gas development and distribution; acting as an outside general counsel to a plastics components extrusion company; and being associate general counsel for a pulp and paper manufacturing company.
Ben formerly served as board of directors chairperson for Make a Wish Foundation of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.
A Few Clients
- Common counsel for PRP groups in CERCLA litigation
- Counsel to polymers manufacturing industry
- Represented steel manufacturer in litigation involving its environmental permits for a metallurgical coke plant construction project
- Represented a commercial developer in obtaining regulatory approvals for construction of a Town Center Shopping Development on a former landfill
- Represent energy extraction and mining companies in various environmental disputes
- In Re: Confidential Client (environmental sabotage/eco-terrorism investigation with federal, state and private criminal investigative agencies)
- In Re: Confidential Client (emergency response, internal investigation and remedial activities arising from chemical release to interstate waterways)
- In Re: Confidential Client (emergency response, internal investigation and remedial activities arising from a chemical fire in a production area at a chemical refinery)
- United Scrap Lead Superfund Site (UI.S. District Court, S.D. OH, USEPA Region V and OhioEPA; common counsel to PRP Group in cost recovery litigation for NPL Superfund Site)
- In Re: Granville Solvents Inc. (U.S. District Court, S.D. OH, USEPA Region V and OhioEPA; common counsel to PRP Group, cost recovery litigation and group chairperson for site threatening municipal drinking water supply)
- In Re: Ward Transformer Inc. (U.S. District Court, E.D., NC; multiparty litigation involving more than 200 parties arising from extensive PCB contamination caused by transformer reconditioning company)
- In Re: American Chemical Services Superfund Site (USEPA Region V; common counsel to PRP Group in matter involving more than 500 parties)
- In Re: Steel Manufacturing Company (proceeding before Ohio Environmental Review Appeals Commission in defense of multiple environmental permits for construction of a metallurgical steel coke plant)
- In Re: Uranium Mining Company (proceeding before the Navajo Nation EPA with respect to historical operations of dormant uranium mine)
- In Re: Multi county Solid Waste Disposal authority (proceedings against defaulting contractor)
- In Re: Satellite Municipal Communities (representation of multiple municipalities before OhioEPA involving cross connected sanitary and storm sewers in a metropolitan sewer system)
Capital University Law School, J.D.
Miami University, B.S.
American Bar Association: member (former Section subcommittee chairperson)
Ohio State Bar Association: member
Columbus Bar Association: member (former committee chairperson)
Admitted to the Supreme Court of Ohio
Licensed to practice in the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio; and the United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2005-14
Who’s Who in America, 2004-07
Who’s Who in American Law, 2015-16
AV® Preeminent™ Rated, Martindale Hubbell